Thursday, April 21, 2011

:: Thirty Day Challenge :: Day 5

The fifth day of what still looks like a long Thirty Day Song Challenge is: a song that reminds you of someone.

Here is an excerpt from what I wrote for my uncle's memorial service, five years ago.

"... I recall him in other times and other places, too, and always what stands out to me is Uncle Mark's appreciation of beauty, music, different cultures and languages, and his dry, intelligent sense of humour.  

I spent two days with him last April, in a hospital in Phoenix.  On the first day, I left a CD for him to listen to; it was one by Cecilia Bartoli, an Italian singer.  When I saw him the next day, he had listened to the CD and also read all of the historical notes that accompanied it.  The last hour we spent talking together that day I told him a lot about mine and Dan's ideas and plans for the future.  I felt he needed to hear it, as he wouldn't be around to see it."

"Un pensiero nemico di pace", is my favourite from that album, Opera Proibita.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to comment if this post has provoked your thoughts! I enjoy reading what you have to say.