This recipe is one I've adapted from Well Plated . It's similar to the original but we've definitely made it our own by substituting ingredients we usually have on hand. Last night for tea we ate the less sweet version with scrambled eggs, accompanied by an apple and pecan fruit salad.
- make flax eggs by whisking 4 TBS ground flaxseed [linseed] with 10 TBS water
- 4 oz pure maple syrup [8 oz for sweeter muffins]
- 4 oz avocado oil [sub melted coconut oil or olive oil]
- 425g pureed pumpkin [1 tin]
- 4 oz coconut milk [I usually use homemade or full-fat tinned]
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups white spelt flour
- 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice [or mixed spice]
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda [bicarbonate]
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 8 oz chocolate pieces [leave out for less sweet version]
- 4 oz pecans or walnuts [also optional]
Preheat oven to 325F, 160C, gas mark 3.
Whisk flax eggs with oil, syrup, pumpkin, and coconut milk. Stir in vanilla and spices. Pour in the flour, baking powder, salt and soda and whisk well. Fold in any additions and scoop into two dozen muffin cups or fourteen large muffin papers. Bake 28 minutes for smaller and 40 minutes for the larger ones. Remove from the baking tins right away to cool on wire racks.