- 2 cups lentils (red, brown, green, or a mix), washed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- olive oil
- 3-4 carrots, unpeeled but washed, chopped
- chopped green or red peppers or mix of both
- 2-3 potatoes, unpeeled but washed and chopped
- any other vegetables you want to add: beetroot, aubergine, courgettes [zucchini], leeks, etc
- 3 tsp cumin, ground
- 3 tsp coriander, ground
- 2 tsp basil, dried
- 1 tsp turmeric, ground
- 1/2-2 tsp red chili powder or cayenne, ground
- couple of bay leaves
Add 1 pint hot water or vegetable broth. Stir well and add a 690g jar of tomato passata (pureed tomatoes) OR 2 tins chopped tomatoes. Add water to cover the lentils by at least 3 or 4 inches.
Leave over medium heat until boiling, then turn down low to simmer until lentils are soft, for about 45 minutes. Salt and pepper well when soup is thick and soft. Serve with chopped fresh coriander or basil, rice or quinoa, and spoonfuls of natural yoghurt.