Monday, June 18, 2012

Pancakes






























This makes about a dozen small pancakes; adjust as needed to fit the quantity you will want.  I usually quadruple this amount, thanks to my boys!



Using a wire whisk, stir in a big mixing bowl:
1/4 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup wholegrain spelt flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour
2 tsp baking powder

In a glass measuring jug, whisk liquid ingredients:
1 cup milk [we use rice milk but any other will do]
1 egg
2 TBS melted butter or coconut oil [this is optional, but I find that if you add fat to the batter, you don't have to keep greasing the griddle as you're cooking them!]

Pour the liquid mixture into the dry; beat well.

On a hot griddle, pour out small [or large, depending on the size of your griddle or the size of pancake that you want to make] spoonfuls of batter.  When air bubbles cover the top of the cooking pancake, gently slip a wooden spatula underneath and flip pancake carefully.  Another minute or so is all that will be needed to complete the cooking time.  


Serve pancakes hot with: maple syrup, peanut butter, fruit, scrambled or fried eggs... the possibilities are endless!  They taste especially nice with vanilla ice cream and maple syrup. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erin,
    Hope you and your family are well.
    I was looking for an American Pancake recipe and I thought of you. Sam & Naomi love American pancakes since our year in the States. I can buy the Betty Crocker packet mix here but it works out more expensive as it's imported. I can't find the same varieties of flours here, the maida (all purpose refined flour) is not very good and I heard that here in India, they bleach it (it does look very white!).
    Maybe I can find the rice flour but I don't think I'll get the wholegrain one easily.
    I'll see if I can get the ingredients and let you know.
    Thanks for the recipe anyway!
    Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Viv,
    I understand the difficulty in finding the right flour! It can be hard if you don't have access to many choices. One of the reasons why we like these pancakes is the whole brown taste of the wholemeal spelt flour and brown rice flour. If you have to mix flours, even just blending the brown rice with a plain white would still be better than none at all. I hope it works out! You may even be able to find other flours that work, too. Let me know!

    Erin :)

    ReplyDelete

Please don't hesitate to comment if this post has provoked your thoughts! I enjoy reading what you have to say.