This recipe was given to me by my friend Sue a while ago, and it's my favourite crumble ever! We love it with Green and Black's vanilla ice cream, or plain natural yoghurt. If you want to make it vegan, substitute the butter for coconut/olive oil and eat with a cold nut cream.
[makes four large servings --yes, I double it!]
- 3 oz plain wholemeal spelt (or brown rice) flour
- 2 oz medium oatmeal
- 1 oz ground almonds - or chopped
- 2 oz butter
- 2 oz raw demerara sugar (turbinado or rapadura)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3 peeled and chopped apples or peaches
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 TBS apple juice
- 1 TBS clear honey or maple syrup
Stir together well, put in a 6 1/2 x 9in deep baking dish. Sprinkle topping over fruit. Bake gas mark 4/ 350F/ 180C for 45 minutes; not too long so as to retain the shape and texture of the fruit. Normally, I bake this only long enough to brown the topping; I prefer the almost-raw bite of apple and berries!