On the rare occasion that we take our loud, hungry, and not exactly table-trained family of six out for a meal, we like to visit Nando's, a restaurant that specialises in African-style chicken. They have plenty of meat and dairy free options. My favourite meal there is a salad with pumpkin seeds, green beans, and avocado; eaten along with a starter of houmous with pitta bread and piri-piri sauce.
It was that addicting, delicious piri-piri flavour I was trying to achieve in this yummy corn and cashew-based houmous.
Using a hand blender, blend together:
- corn from two ears of fresh sweetcorn, sliced off the cob
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- juice of two limes, or of one lime and one lemon
- 2 TBS sesame seeds
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 2-4 tsp ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp dehydrated chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- splash red wine vinegar
Add more seasoning according to your personal tastes. This is delicious eaten with raw veggie sticks, rolled up in romaine lettuce like a wrap, or in raw sushi.