Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Pumpkin Pie

It's time to get out a long-hoarded tin of pumpkin puree to make a pumpkin pie.

Coo is having her eighth month birthday tomorrow and I want her to taste pumpkin pie for the first time.

Lately we've been eating it warm from the oven, with Green and Black's vanilla ice cream melting over the spicy brown yumminess.

Delicious!

I have a recurring taste memory that has been a complete mystery to me.  I first remembered it around the age of five.  I didn't know what the food was, only that it was soft and spicy warm, and I was eating it from a spoon being held to my mouth, as I was very small.  Periodically, over the years, this taste memory has returned, and I've always wondered about it.

When I was telling my mother about Coo loving pumpkin pie, she said:

"I think pumpkin pie was one of the first things I fed you, when you were around her age."

And the taste memory suddenly meshed with the present and, after twenty-five long years, the mystery was solved...

Pumpkin pie!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to comment if this post has provoked your thoughts! I enjoy reading what you have to say.