This soup is creamy and delicious, perfect with toasted sourdough rye bread and garlic butter, and a spinach salad on the side.
makes 8-10 servings
- 3 cups dried haricot beans, soaked overnight
Put in a large, heavy saucepan with enough water to cover by several inches. Add:
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 TBS dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1-2 tsp fennel seeds, lightly ground with a pestle and mortar
- 1-2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- vegetable stock cube
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4-5 carrots, quartered and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 2-3 medium potatoes, scrubbed and chopped [optional; I don't often add these]
Saute all in a few tablespoons of butter or olive oil, in a medium saucepan. When softened, add to the still-cooking beans. Cook for another twenty minutes or so, depending on how soft you want the vegetables and beans to be.
Salt and pepper well before serving. You can also stir in a few teaspoons of butter or coconut oil, or a drizzle of olive oil, for extra flavour.