Thursday, April 21, 2011

What's on the table?

We're in the midst of our annual spring heat wave.  Sun, temperatures in the seventies (F) /twenties (C), clothes drying on the line, dust clouds in our football ravaged grass deprived back garden, and very tired children tucked up in bed at the end of an outdoor day.

I haven't felt much cooking inspiration.  I've been outside enjoying the weather, and standing with Coo while she jumps up and down on the "tampoline".  

Daddy cooked vegetable chilli and rice on Sunday; and we've also eaten lentil soup, vegetable and chickpea curry with rice, and pizzas made with Biona pre-packaged pizza bases.  I do like making my own pizza crust [with my mother's special family recipe], but have wanted to try out these pizza bases for a while.  I found them at a shop in Wales last week.  They were just right - yummy!

Tonight, I made mashed potatoes with onions and cheese, and we ate these alongside a pile of very lightly steamed, crunchy fresh vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and runner beans.  I dressed the vegetables with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and olive oil.  They were delicious!

As it's Easter weekend, I'll be mixing up some almond cookie dough and making a big cookie to decorate for Easter Day.  This is a family tradition started by my mom when I was very small.  I think, this year, that I'll put lemon peel in the almond-essenced dough.  Mmmm.... 

I'm also planning on mixing up a big batch of pancakes for breakfast on Saturday.  We have housework and garden work planned for the day, and will need some substantial meals to keep us going!

Off to "Potales" - Coo's word for Pilates - tonight.  Sore ribs tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to comment if this post has provoked your thoughts! I enjoy reading what you have to say.