Monday, January 24, 2011

Afternoon Swim

I was stirring up a coffee cake in the kitchen, when he suddenly appeared dressed in a swimming costume and goggles.  It was only his third outfit of the day.



"Mum, would you run the bath so I can go swimming?"

"Sure, Mr J."

"Can Coo come with me?"

"I don't think so. She's too little to play swimming in the bath without Mama there."

"Why?"

"Well, she could drown.  She's not as big as you."

"But there's a floor in there!  You can't drown where there's a floor!"

[At this point our family's own Safety First consultant, Lefty, pipes up from the table where he's engaged in a Lord of the Rings Risk board game battle with Righty] "Yes you can!  You can drown in only a few inches of water!"

[Mr J, loudly and solidly, to Lefty] "No, you can't!"

[Turning back to me, says softly] "Mum, what does 'drown' mean?"

I let the Safety First Consultant explain.

2 comments:

Please don't hesitate to comment if this post has provoked your thoughts! I enjoy reading what you have to say.