Monday, May 23, 2011

What's on the table?

Better late than never!  It's been one of those weeks. Going backwards across the last hectic ten days isn't easy, and I'm trying to remember what we've eaten.

We had some of the usuals: vegetable chilli and rice, and chickpea curry with rice.  The latter almost filled the huge stainless steel pot and fed twelve of us: three adults and nine hungry children.  I'm fighting the urge to "name" that pot.  It has such a big, shiny personality all its own and deserves to be named.

We tried out a new dish and it was a yummy success.  I followed this recipe for Coconut Chilli; but cooked it with slightly less liquid so it could be served over rice instead of as a soup.  This is a warming chilli with plenty of flavour.  Pieces of raw coconut, which I added at the end, gave a creamy chewiness that was a perfect contrast to the soft beans and spicy sauce.  We ate this with rice and an avocado and tomato salad.  Mr J, who normally finds himself loudly suspicious of any new recipe, spooned up his meal in record time without comment.  Though that might have been because we had a special treat waiting for us afterwards.  Mmmm.... pumpkin pie!  This is the recipe I use for pumpkin pie.  I don't change a thing, apart from dumping in plenty of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and freshly grated nutmeg instead of pumpkin pie spice.  I love pumpkin pie... and always have.

I'm currently planning a gargantuan clear-out of our house, ready to banish the piles of tidy clutter once and for all. There's a sense of excitement mixed with trepidation: what will I find underneath all that stuff?  How many books do we actually own? Where will our excess belongings go? I wish the American yardsale tradition was accepted here; it would be so much easier than trying to individually list each item on eBay.  Merely imagining the culturally ridiculous scenario of a few tables of stuff for sale, set up in our king bed-sized front garden, is enough of a damper to stop me from attempting it in reality.

And any specific food idea for this week?  Put Oscar to work making beetroot and carrot juice! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to comment if this post has provoked your thoughts! I enjoy reading what you have to say.