Makes about 18.
These are yummy (if you can’t tell by the name) but you do need a food processor to prepare them!
- 2 TBS chia seeds
- 1/4 cup plus 2 TBS water
- 10 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 TBS coconut oil
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder or organic cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup raw walnuts, soaked overnight and drained
- 3/4 cup raw almonds, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 1/3 cups dry desiccated coconut [unsweetened, no additives]
- spices [optional]: 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground cloves
Soak chia seeds in water. Let seeds absorb water--about 5 minutes. Once absorbed, place in food processor with the dates and coconut oil; process until smooth. Add salt and cacao or cocoa and process. Add walnuts and almonds and stir in the coconut. You will have to use your hands as the mixture will be quite thick at this point! Form into balls. Roll in extra coconut [optional]. Store in a tin in the fridge.